Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Zesty chicken sandwiches!

Tonight is pulled chicken sandwich night.  I thought I'd switch it up a bit and do a zesty chicken sandwich on fresh homemade kaiser rolls.  I like my food to be zesty - and my life!  LOL. 



So here is how to make the chicken

You need
- crockpot
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 bottle bbq sauce (I use chicken and rib)
- 1/4 cup pureed carrot and sweet potato
- 2 cubes of frozen spinach juice (remember this equals 1 full cup of spinach!)
- 1/2 cup of vinegar

Mix all sauce ingredients (thaw your purees if needed, and your cubes).  Put the chicken in a slow cooker and pour sauce over.  I had about 1/2 cup of sauce left over from my mixture.  So I popped it into a container in the fridge.  It would baste burgers perfectly for another dinner.

Cook on high for 1 hour, and then low for 3 more hours.   Take chicken out before serving and pull it apart with 2 forks.  Return to slow cooker and toss in the sauce. 

I am going to serve this with kaiser rolls.  My kids BEGGED for white bread today.  "Nothing weird mom - no germ or anything" they beg.  Okay, so I will make these buns primarily white.  Not fully of course - lol.  But hopefully they don't notice.

Here's what to do:

  • 2 tablespoons active dry yeast

  • 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided

  • 4 tablespoons sugar, divided

  • 1/3 cup canola oil

  • 2 teaspoons salt

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour

  • 1 cup wheat germ

  • 1 egg white

  • 2 teaspoons cold water

  • Poppy and/or sesame seeds

  • Directions

    • In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour/wheat germ to form a soft dough.
    • Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. This is where I use my handy dandy Bosch mixer!  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
    • Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
    • Beat egg white and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds.
    • Put a shallow baking dish half full of water on the lowest rack in your oven. 
    • Bake at 400° on a middle rack for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
    • Yield: 16 rolls.

    Serve your pulled chicken over fresh buns with some raw veggies and enjoy!
     

    1 comment:

    1. Loving all your posts. Just wondering if you could do a post on what you use for your veggie purees and how you do them. I saw the spinach one, but was wondering about the rest. Do you use frozen veggies? Thanks.

      ReplyDelete