Thursday, January 5, 2012

Monkey Pancakes (with carrots/sweet potato and banana!)

Good morning!  Wow!  It's Thursday already?  The time is just flying this week.  Today's breakfast is one of the kids favorites again.  Monkey pancakes!  My kids love them most because I shape them like little monkey heads - lol.  But that is part of the love cooked into the breakfast right?

Here is how to make them

1-2 bananas (I only had 1 this morning) mashed
1/4 cup of carrot and sweet potato puree
1 egg
1 tbsp of honey
1/4 - 1/2 cup of unsweetened organic soymilk
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour
1 tbsp oat bran
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
handful of mini chocolate chips or carob chips

Heat up your griddle (make sure you spray it with oil to make sure that they don't stick).  Whisk together all of your ingredients, starting with the wet ones.  If the batter is too thick, you can thin it to how you like it with soymilk (which is why I gave up to 1/2 cup in the ingredients!)

Scoop out teaspoon size rounds, and add 1/4 tsp rounds for ears.  These aren't huge pancakes, I think that my kids got 8-9 each with this recipe and that is the 4 kids eating. 

I don't serve this with syrup or butter since they are great on their own and the chocolate chips give it a yummyness without all the liquid sugar of syrup! 

Here is a (albeit weak) photo of the breakfast.  I would have taken the time to take a better picture but the kids were impatient to eat!  LOL. 




There is not a hint of pancake left.  They love these.  I serve them with 1/2 cup fortified orange juice mixed with a 1/4 cup water OR a small fruit and a glass of water. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment