Friday, January 6, 2012

Popeye Eggs & bacon

I got the base recipe for this from my book The Sneaky Chef.  I can't do what they do though, since we are avoiding dairy.  So I altered it to work with us and with my budget! 



"Popeye Eggs & Bacon":

6 large eggs
2 frozen ice cubes of spinach juice (will write how to make below)
6 slices of whole wheat bread
salt & pepper
2 tbsp real bacon bits

Scramble the eggs with the spinach juice, salt and pepper and bacon.  Cook in your skillet.  Toast your toast and top with margerine (I use vegan which is casein free). 

Serve warm and enjoy!  Your kids won't even notice the spinach juice in the eggs and it gives such a nutritional boost. 

How to make spinach juice:
- 3 cups washed baby spinach fresh
- 1 cup water.

Bring spinach and water to boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes pour through a fine strainer and squish the pulp of the spinach with a spoon or spatula to get all juices released.  Freeze your spinach juice in ice cube containers, then once frozen move into a heavy freezer bag. 

This is extremely healthy and just a single tablespoon is the same as eating 1/4 cup of raw spinach leaves.  This has iron, calcium and digestive enzymes.  Super awesome!

(this meal fed my kids - I give each child 1.5 eggs and 1.5 slices of toast.  It keeps them full for the whole morning - and that is with hungry boy tummies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment